This briefing has been prepared for the House of Commons Defence Committee to provide an overview of the work and performance of the Ministry of Defence (the Department) in the financial year 2009-10 and subsequent months. Its aim is to help the Committee understand and consider:
- where the Department spent its budgeted resources;
- the performance information the Department produced and reported upon in the year;
- the Department’s financial management, including reasons for the qualification of the audit opinion on the 2009-10 departmental resource accounts;
- the Department’s delivery of services; and
- the Government’s recent defence and spending reviews (Part Five).
The brief is based entirely on publicly available documentation, including the 2009‑10 departmental resource accounts and published National Audit Office (NAO) reports.