The NAO scrutinises public spending for Parliament to help the government in its drive to improve public services, nationally and locally.
We achieve this by auditing the financial statements of all central government departments, agencies and other public bodies, and report the results to Parliament. Our other work comprises value for money studies, local audit, investigations, support to Parliament and international activities.
The issues we focus on in our work are:
- securing an effective centre of government that facilitates the best use of public money;
- maintaining effective local services under financial constraint;
- improving the accuracy and effectiveness of high volume services to the public;
- improving the effective delivery of major programmes and projects;
- improving outcomes from a diverse range of providers, with effective oversight and intervention;
- and strengthening influence and regulation to make markets work effectively.