The National Audit Office (NAO) works on behalf of Parliament and the taxpayer to hold government to account for the use of public money and to help public services improve performance. The relationship with Parliament is central to the roles of the Comptroller and Auditor General (C&AG) and NAO.
We look to place our skills at the service of Parliament as a whole, supporting the Public Accounts Committee (PAC), other select committees from both Houses and individual Members in their scrutiny of public expenditure and service delivery.
The C&AG is a statutory Officer of the House of Commons and the results of our work are presented to Parliament by Order of the House of Commons.
We published over 60 major reports to Parliament and audited some 430 accounts to Parliament in 2013/14. We also provided 20 Select Committees with a wide range of support in addition to our core work for PAC. Our latest Select Committee reports include:
[xlist_reports number=25 include=”sector:select-committee-work” exclude=”pi_area:departmental-overviews”]
We produce performance briefings to assist Select Committees’ annual oversight of departments’ performance, the latest of which include:
- Departmental Overview 2015-16: Cabinet OfficeThis Departmental Overview looks at the Cabinet Office and summarises its performance during the year ended March 2016, together with our recent reports on it.
- Departmental Overview 2015-16: Department for Work and PensionsThis Departmental Overview looks at the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and summarises its performance during the year ended March 2016, together with our recent reports on it.
- Departmental Overview 2015-16: Foreign & Commonwealth OfficeThis Departmental Overview looks at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) and summarises its performance during the year ended March 2016, together with our recent reports on it.
- Departmental Overview 2015-16: HM Revenue & CustomsThis Departmental Overview looks at HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and summarises its performance during the year ended March 2016, together with our recent reports on it.
- Overview: Local governmentThis Overview looks at the local government landscape during the last financial year and summarises both matters of likely interest to Parliament as well as our work with local authorities. The NAO prepares statutory guidance on how local auditors should meet their responsibilities.
To keep up to date with all our publications follow the links below:
MPs and researchers who wish to be added to our press notice list should email our press office at email@example.com
Enquiries from MPs
We also deal with a complex and wide range of enquiries from Members of Parliament which on occasion may lead to a full value for money report.