The NAO Annual Report and Accounts 2019-20 provides details about our work and performance.Jump to downloads
Our purpose is to support Parliament in holding Government to account for use of taxpayers’ money. This report details the role we have played over 2019-20, providing assurance through our audit of £1.7 trillion of expenditure.
Key highlights include:
- Publication of 42 value for money reports, 14 investigations and 7 EU exit outputs
- Certifying over 400 accounts
- Our work led to positive financial impacts of £1.1 billion in 2019-20
- Supporting 34 Committee of Public Accounts evidence sessions. During 2019-20, the government accepted 92% of the Committee’s recommendations
- Increasing the bodies we audit, taking on new audit responsibilities including for the Financial Reporting Council, S4C (Channel 4 Wales) and of the delivery and sponsor bodies carrying out the restoration and renewal of the Palace of Westminster.
The report also reflects the NAO welcoming Gareth Davies as Comptroller and Auditor General in June 2019, our new five-year strategy that will help us to make a bigger difference and our response to the unprecedented challenge of COVID-19.
Two complementary corporate reports covering our performance during 2019-20 have been published:
The NAO’s 2019-20 Transparency Report explains the role we play as the UK’s independent public spending watchdog. The report also includes the findings from the latest round of external and internal inspection reviews on our audit quality including the steps we are taking to address these findings in line with the ambitious plans we have set out in our new five-year strategy.
The Diversity & Inclusion Annual Report summarises our progress and activities against our Diversity & Inclusion Strategy and highlights key areas of focus for 2020-21.