Our purpose is to support Parliament in holding Government to account for use of taxpayers’ money. This report details the role we have played over 2019-20, providing assurance through our audit of £1.7 trillion of expenditure.
Key highlights include:
- Publication of 42 value for money reports, 14 investigations and 7 EU exit outputs
- Certifying over 400 accounts
- Our work led to positive financial impacts of £1.1 billion in 2019-20
- Supporting 34 Committee of Public Accounts evidence sessions. During 2019-20, the government accepted 92% of the Committee’s recommendations
- Increasing the bodies we audit, taking on new audit responsibilities including for the Financial Reporting Council, S4C (Channel 4 Wales) and of the delivery and sponsor bodies carrying out the restoration and renewal of the Palace of Westminster.
The report also reflects the NAO welcoming Gareth Davies as Comptroller and Auditor General in June 2019, our new five-year strategy that will help us to make a bigger difference and our response to the unprecedented challenge of COVID-19.