Background to the report
The UK government launched the Homes for Ukraine scheme (the scheme) on 14 March 2022, following the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. The scheme enables people in the UK to act as sponsors for Ukrainian nationals and their families seeking refuge from the war, with individuals being granted three-year visas to stay in the UK, with full access to public services, benefits, and other support.Jump to downloads
Any adult is able to act as a sponsor providing they pass eligibility checks conducted by the Home Office and local authorities. Sponsors must commit to hosting for a minimum of six months and can claim thank you payments from government for providing suitable accommodation for Ukrainians to live in of £350 per month for the first 12 months, and then £500 for the next 12 months. In addition, the local authority where the sponsor is based receives a one-off payment of £10,500 per arrival (reduced to £5,900 for all arrivals after 31 December 2022) to help with support and integration needs.
The scheme is jointly run by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities (DLUHC) and the Home Office, who established a joint taskforce in March 2022. The Home Office primarily leads on operational matters relating to the processing of visas and checks on the suitability of the sponsor. DLUHC leads on all aspects of the scheme from the point of arrival of Ukrainians into the UK, working closely with local authorities and devolved governments.
Scope of the report
The first people to arrive in the UK under the scheme are now halfway through their permitted stay, and the emergency phase of the UK government’s response to the Ukraine refugee crisis has come to a close. This report aims to increase transparency by taking stock of what has been achieved to date, for what cost, and what can be learned. We set out:
- how the scheme was set up at speed and the scheme objectives
- arrival numbers and the checks conducted on applicants and sponsors
- the funding provided
- challenges and future risks with the scheme
This investigation does not seek to examine and report on the value for money of the scheme.
- Report - Investigation into the Homes for Ukraine scheme (.pdf — 2 MB)
- Summary - Investigation into the Homes for Ukraine scheme - English (.pdf — 125 KB)
- Summary - Investigation into the Homes for Ukraine scheme - Ukrainian (.pdf — 265 KB)
- ePub - Investigation into the Homes for Ukraine scheme (.epub — 2 MB)
- ISBN: 978-1-78604-511-9 [Buy a hard copy of this report]
- HC: 1863, 2022-23
View press release (17 Oct 2023)